Ron practices exclusively in the area of construction and commercial law, with an emphasis on construction lien claims, tender disputes, drafting of contracts, contract review, and generally providing advice to those involved in the construction industry. His clients include owners, condominium corporations, developers, consultants, national and local general contractors, subtrades, and suppliers. He has represented clients before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada and has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations.
Ron is a Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers and has been listed in Best Lawyers in Canada, Construction Law, and Canadian Lexpert Directory for the past several years. He is a frequent lecturer at professional association seminars including the Ottawa Construction Association. A graduate of the University of Ottawa with a BA in History (1977), Ron graduated from the Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa in 1980 and was called to the Ontario Bar in 1982.
- Represented a bonding company in a case that went through three levels of court. Successfully argued before the Supreme Court of Canada that a bond, although signed and sealed, must also be delivered in order to be valid. This landmark decision clarified a previously grey area of the law.
- Successfully acted for a general contractor at a lengthy arbitration involving the construction of an embassy in Ottawa.
- Has represented numerous contractors involved in delay and other construction project related claims.
Rankings and Recognition
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Canadian Lexpert Directory: consistently recommended – Construction Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Construction Law, 2019
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Carleton County Law Association
- Numerous articles in Construction Comment, magazine of the Ottawa Construction Association
- Frequent lecturer at professional association seminars, including the Ottawa Construction Association and the National Capital Heavy Construction Association
I have referred several people to Melody MacDonell over the years. She is extremely knowledgeable, professional and efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone at Rasmussen Starr Ruddy.
A big thank you to Melody and her staff. Melody is straight forward and knows her stuff. Although going through a separation is hard, I was very confident things would work out in my favor. And they did. Looking forward to the next new chapter to begin. Thanks again Melody.
I don’t know what I would have done without them. You may not remember every word they say, but you’ll never forget how they make you feel.
Their personal skills are great: they’re very easy to deal with. I question a lot and they’re very accommodating.
I like the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk to my lawyer, not an assistant. Other firms are getting too big to provide personal service.
They have a clear understanding of our business and are very responsive. The partners are well respected among their peers.
They’re prompt, intelligent, give good advice, and charge reasonable rates.