Michael Beeson specializes in commercial litigation, construction law, and insurance law. He values putting in the time to understand the complexities of the dispute and resolve the underlying problems that are not necessarily said out loud.
Michael is a skilled communicator with excellent oral advocacy. Clients appreciate his ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and effective manner. Having worked at some of the largest law firms in Canada, Michael has the experience and knowledge needed to help him solve his clients’ most complicated and challenging legal problems.
Prior to his call to the Ontario Bar in 2011, Michael obtained his LLB from the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law and earned his undergraduate degree from St. Thomas University in New Brunswick.
- In 2019, he represented a lender in a summary judgement motion on a counterclaim relating to negligent lending and bankruptcy.
- Michael successfully represented an insurer before WSIAT in a “right to sue” hearing.
- Early in his career, he represented an insurance company in successfully defending an appeal related to insurance fraud before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Experienced at working in all levels of Ontario court (Tribunal, Small Claims, Ontario Court of Justice, Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court of Canada).
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association (former executive member of the Young Lawyers Division)
- Advocacy Club
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Assistant/Head Coach for the Orleans Rush Minor Hockey Team 2018 – 2022
- Coach for the Gloucester Dragons Soccer Club 2018 – 2020
- Member of the Forest Valley Elementary School Council 2018 – 2020
- Parent representative for FVESC of Ottawa Carleton Assembly of School Councils 2019- 2020
- Speaker at the Ontario Bar Association events
When he’s not in the office
Michael is a super-dad to two children who are in competitive gymnastics. When not keeping up with their busy schedules, you can find him playing hockey, enjoying a round of golf, or lifting weights. Michael comes from a military family and was a reservist himself, which has given him a love and appreciation for travel, particularly in Canada, recently visiting British Columbia and Alberta. Before the pandemic, he had been planning a vacation in Prince Edward Island. Michael has also enjoyed the sun and sand, having previously travelled to the Dominican Republic and Cuba.
I have referred several people to Melody MacDonell over the years. She is extremely knowledgeable, professional and efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone at Rasmussen Starr Ruddy.
A big thank you to Melody and her staff. Melody is straight forward and knows her stuff. Although going through a separation is hard, I was very confident things would work out in my favor. And they did. Looking forward to the next new chapter to begin. Thanks again Melody.
I don’t know what I would have done without them. You may not remember every word they say, but you’ll never forget how they make you feel.
Their personal skills are great: they’re very easy to deal with. I question a lot and they’re very accommodating.
I like the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk to my lawyer, not an assistant. Other firms are getting too big to provide personal service.
They have a clear understanding of our business and are very responsive. The partners are well respected among their peers.
They’re prompt, intelligent, give good advice, and charge reasonable rates.