Barry Starr is a founder of the firm and a specialist in civil litigation. A proven force in insurance-related and personal injury litigation, clients and their families trust Barry, whose diligent, skillful approach has led to many successful resolutions.
He has represented clients before numerous boards and tribunals, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has acted as counsel in more than 150 civil jury and non-jury trials and appeals, obtaining substantial monetary awards and settlements for his clients and their families. Lawyers throughout Ontario often consult Barry and refer complex cases to him. Many of his cases have been published in law reports.
With extensive experience in mediation and negotiation, Barry understands the value of a reasonable and timely settlement, but draws on his extensive court experience and proceeds to trial if that is in the client’s best interests.
Barry is a former instructor in Civil Procedure in the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Bar Admission Program. A graduate from Queen’s University Law School (1969), Barry was called to the Ontario Bar in 1971 and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1985.
- Negotiated a settlement in excess of $2.7 million for a motorcyclist whose leg was amputated in a motor vehicle accident.
- Negotiated a substantial settlement with a disability insurance company that had refused to pay disability benefits for a nurse who, after 17 years of service, had been forced to stop work because of a debilitating illness.
- Negotiated a settlement with insurance companies for a client who had gone to the assistance of another motorist and sustained a serious back injury as a result of being hit by passing traffic.
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Instructor, Ontario Bar Admission Course
- Guest speaker on personal injury and insurance issues for the Canadian Bar Association, Law Society of Upper Canada Continuing Education Program and the County of Carleton Law Association.
- Conducted pretrial conferences designed to assist litigants in reaching a settlement, to help the Ontario Superior Court reduce a substantial backlog of civil cases awaiting trial.
When he’s not in the office
Barry is an avid skier and also enjoys biking, attending spinning classes, and playing tennis.
I have referred several people to Melody MacDonell over the years. She is extremely knowledgeable, professional and efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone at Rasmussen Starr Ruddy.
A big thank you to Melody and her staff. Melody is straight forward and knows her stuff. Although going through a separation is hard, I was very confident things would work out in my favor. And they did. Looking forward to the next new chapter to begin. Thanks again Melody.
I don’t know what I would have done without them. You may not remember every word they say, but you’ll never forget how they make you feel.
Their personal skills are great: they’re very easy to deal with. I question a lot and they’re very accommodating.
I like the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk to my lawyer, not an assistant. Other firms are getting too big to provide personal service.
They have a clear understanding of our business and are very responsive. The partners are well respected among their peers.
They’re prompt, intelligent, give good advice, and charge reasonable rates.